Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Hit the North(west)!

This was the most inspiring punk documentary I've seen in quite a while. It made me want to be 21 again. Great footage of Wipers, Neo Boys (who apparently shared my good taste in Patti Smith poems), Sado-Nation, Smegma, and half a dozen early punk and post-punk bands I missed at the time because I was one state away. See the trailer here, then seek out the movie. It's already on Netflix.



Random thoughts:
1) When will Kill Rock Stars take their wondrous archive-releasing powers to their own back yard and put out a comprehensive Neo Boys anthology?
2) I didn't know John Shirley used to be in Sado-Nation. Wow. And quite the frontman as a youth, too.
3) Did Lo-Tek ever release anything? Loved them.
4) WHY does Jello Biafra get so much face time in a film about PORTLAND? Not to downgrade his contributions, but I'm really sick of seeing him propped up as the be-all and end-all of punk rock.
5) Late 1970s Portland sure was full of bands who sounded like the early Fall.
6) Why did the original camera crew that filmed the Rats zoom in on every member BUT Toody Cole? Reflexive resentment for female bass players? It's not as if she's hard on the eyes.

2 comments:

Substance McGravitas said...

You may be interested in this.

J Neo Marvin said...

That was highly entertaining, especially the Smith/Cave/McGowan free-for-all.